Zero Waste Products: Bulk Making Session
(6/5/18) Please note, this session has been rescheduled to Monday 14 May, 6-8pm.
Set yourself up with cost effective, non-toxic and packaging free household goods with Bianca from Earth Heart Health Connection and the Canberra Environment Centre at monthly bulk making sessions.
What is a bulk making session?
A bulk making session is an opportunity to make a range of zero waste household goods as a group, using bulk-bought ingredients and communal equipment. We’ll use a range of basic, edible ingredients that can be combined in a number of ways to make effective household products. These sessions aim to provide a supportive and fun environment for everyone to make their products together, with added encouragement from those who have been experimenting with and using these products for years.
Products available to make include:
- Dishwashing powder
- Air fresheners
- Laundry powder
- Oven cleaner
- Surface sprays
- Grime-busting paste
- Bathroom cleaners
- Heavy duty toilet cleaner
- Window cleaners
- You can also make a number of face and body products such as facial scrubs, deodorants, baby’s nappy cream and sunscreen.
What happens at a bulk making session?
We’ll make a big batch of various products together, using recipes provided. Batches will then be divided into take home quantities. You can take home as much or as little as your household needs in BYO containers, paying for the cost of the product ingredients by weight. Costs will vary between products, depending on ingredients used.
Note, you don’t have to stay for the whole session, just turn up any time between 6-7:30pm.
What are the benefits of a bulk making session?
- Reduce costs. We pass on discounts from buying ingredients in bulk (we don’t profit from these sessions), making DIY household products as affordable as possible.
- Minimize excess packaging
- Reduce exposure to harsh chemicals at home
- Build your understanding of how different ingredients work and gain confidence in using DIY household products
- Meet and share ideas with others
How can I join a bulk making session?
- RSVP so we have an idea of numbers.
- Clean and store jars and containers you’d like to keep your products in.
- Bring your jars and containers along to our next bulk making session.
- Please bring cash to reimburse Bianca for the cost of ingredients.